Wednesday, July 6, 2011

P-rolags!

I wanted to share with you my first experience in making pseudo-rolags for spinning. This was a fun project, and the fiber I used was dyed by me.


 I used some Falkland wool that I dyed purple, added a little silk that I dyed pink, and then just a hint of Firestar for some glitter.


I pulled just a little from each, and laid them out, over-lapping each other a little. 




I wasn't sure if I was doing it right; I don't know anyone in real life that is into stuff like this, and everything I've learned, I've either figured out myself, or watched on youtube, or read about in a forum. I wanted to blend the fibers a bit more, but I don't have any hand-cards or a drum carder, so alas, this was the only way to go for me.






The wool was very fluffy, and easy to draft (pull out in pieces), and the silk was yummy and smooth. But the Firestar, being a synthetic fiber (read: plastic) felt a little weird as I was pulling out strands. I laid everything out as well-blended as possible, and then pushed the sides up together a tiny bit to create a little density. I figured this would help once I started to spin it.




I took two knitting needles, and put one underneath and one on top of my fiber. Then I rolled the fiber up into a tube, and slipped the needles out.





 Voila! Pseudo-rolags! 


I ended up using these rolags to spin some Clemson yarn. I spun a long purple single, and plied it with an orange one (made of merino), and got about 76 yards of some gorgeous yarn. The silk and Firestar made the purple ply so shiny and shimmery. It will be perfect for a hat for the coming football season!


I haven't photographed the Clemson yarn yet, as I just finished it yesterday, and then it rained :(
They're not calling for rain today, tho, so I will take it outside and get a really good pic, and post on my facebook page.


Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment